Friday, September 22, 2006

Summer's Journal: Second Entry

Before I begin with the events of my day, I would like anyone who finds this journal (or pries it out of my cold dead hands) to know that this is a normal day for me.

It started like any other day, I had to wake up. I would prefer to stay home, and read to do my learning, but I had a boyfriend now. I had to go to school on the chance that I may see him.

Its only one night and already I am the fawning girlfriend.

My mother told me last night (when I told her I was dating him) that, “Us O’Ciardha women fall fast and hard.” I guess that’s true. More true then I would have ever thought it possible of me. There I go with the whole going off topic thing again.

At school I was minding my own business when for no reason two preps came up beside me and hip checked me into a locker. You’re right. That’s a lie. They walked by and called me “Happy Sunshine Summer.” Now, normally, I’d have never ever let that get to me. I mean it was stupid. If it were any other social group in the world, the person being called that would reply with, “What the hell? You call that an insult?” But I am a goth. “Happy Sunshine” is bad, but when you add in the fact that my first name is Summer, and I hate to be called something so bright.

So it was I who hip-checked the one girl into the locker. She hit, and looked at me, and made some noise, like, “Uh” who knows. It was prep talk. The girl was an acquaintance of mine some time ago. Her name is Ashley. Thus how she knows my name to be Summer, instead of Dawn, which is what I try and get everyone to call me. Like Dawn of the Dead.

Now, what had transpired happens everyday in one form or the other. What fell after it has never happened before. I was sitting outside for lunch, underneath my tree seat, when I see Ashley and her minion standing in front of me.

“Hello Summer,” she said. I made two mistakes when I saw her. The first of which, was I didn’t notice the rope in her hand. The second one was not moving after I saw the rope in her hand. She pulled on it. I felt liquid cover my body.

There was a loud guffaw of laughter. I opened my eyes. She had drenched me in blood. Carrie, I feel for you. I sighed, and continued to eat. She stood there, and when I looked up to her, I noticed she was shocked.

“Like, aren’t you going to cry, or freak, or something?” She asked still flabbergasted I hadn’t moved.

“No,” I responded. I continued to eat my meal. It had only gotten a little blood on it, and I carefully picked around it. I had to look a total bloody mess, because everyone was avoiding me. I found it a little weird that not one teacher came to see if I wanted help or anything. I kept saying to myself, ‘My cousin or my boyfriend will come and save me.’ But who needs a Don when you are a Donã. I stood, and dumped my tray, as blood dripped off of me, and led a trail to my next class. I didn’t even bother going to the bathroom to clean up or anything of the sort.

Oddly enough the other students thought I was making a statement. I did clean up a little before I went home. I had to. If I went home covered in blood, my parents would only think the worse.

On my way home, however, I saw Ashley talking to an older man. She began to quicken her pace after he said something to her. He rushed along side her, and grabbed her arm, and pulled her back. She went to scream but he covered her mouth. He pulled her back towards and Alley.

I am my father’s daughter. There was no question as to what I had to do. I walked over to the alley and I looked. It was a Soul Stealer; a lesser demon who steals the souls of those who he kisses. He leaned into her. I walked down the alley.

“Dawn!” she yelled, “Help!”

The demon looked towards me, his tongue-barb facing me. “Diabolus Subsisto,” I said and the demon froze. I walked up to it, and picked up a shard of glass on the ground. Sure words of power are great on lesser demons. But the big ones take a little more. I cut into his forehead a cross.

I love to see demons spontaneously combust. It makes me feel like I did some good in the world. I looked at Ashley. Who looked at me. We stared at each other. It was almost like a stand off. Who was going to blink first? “What the hell just happened?” I sighed. I was hoping her mind was going to make her forget, like it does most humans. I walked up to her, and I punched her in her temple. Not hard enough to kill her, just enough to knock her unconscious.

I then came home. My thoughts on the day are thus. Should I have believed Iago? I didn’t see Chris today. It makes me wonder if maybe he is ashamed of me. Maybe he got caught up in the moment. Maybe he thinks I’m just some challenge, something to claim and then break and move on. Maybe he was busy. Did he not want to see me? Was I a mistake?

I think I am thinking too deeply.

-Dawn

1 Comments:

Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

Just an average day at school, Summer.

7:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home