Saturday, September 23, 2006

Summer's Journal: Third Entry

It is the weekend. The one time I don’t have to wake up in the morning. I love sleeping in. The longer I stay up, the longer I sleep in, which means the longer I don’t have to be out in the sun. Or, as the case was today, my father woke me up.

To know me, to know who I am, one would have to know my father. I am my father’s daughter. I will never deny this. I think like him. I live like him. I look more like him than my mother. My father is very special to me, and I am special to him.

My father was born in the year thirty three anno domoni. He always told me one of his greatest regrets was missing the chance to meet Jesus of Nazareth. When he was eighteen he left his home. He never ever told me much about his parents, my grandparents. But my assumption from how little he ever spoke of them was they were not nice people.

He went north to what at the time was called the land of frozen death. It was true for him. His body was so adapted to the heat and warmth of the Mediterranean that in the reaches north he became cold. He sought shelter.

As far as this time line is concerned my next statement will make no sense. My father was made into a vampire by Dracula’s Red Haired Bride. I was never told her name. As far as I know, no-one was told her name. I simply call her grandmother (though I never have met her). Back to the time line not making sense, Dracula didn’t exist at this time, right? That is untrue from what my father has told me.

For the first three hundred years of his life, he lived for the moment, for pleasure, for his own satisfaction. That’s when ‘something’ happened to him. Once again, he never told me what that thing was. But he changed. He went from being a creature of the seven deadly sins into being a creature fighting for honor and life.

Around the year eleven hundred, he found the first of his blood wives. He also found a daughter. Other than me, of course, I’m only sixteen, I promise. His daughter killed his wife. It was rough for my dad to recover, and he couldn’t hurt his own daughter, so she went on. Around fifteen hundred my sister made my uncle into a dhampir.

She’s dead now. My father met my mother nineteen eighty five. Upon her first becoming a werewolf. She had fallen in love with him after only having met him once. After some events that no-one in my family ever speaks of, and I’ve never heard, in nineteen eighty eight they were in a relationship. In nineteen eighty nine, I was conceived. Thanks to the help of my Godmother Thousand Faces. I was born October Thirty-first nineteen ninety.

When I was a child my father would watch me sleep at night. He would hold my little hand when I had a nightmare, and be there to see me wake in the morning. I was his daughter. The other was just a blood child.

I was with him when I first found out I was a necromancer. It was a Saturday much the same as today. He woke me in the morning, like he did this morning. “Get up Summer,” he had named me that of course. I was his Summer’s Dawn. The First sunlight he had ever seen as a vampire.

I have told my father everything. But I could not tell him I was dating.

I woke lightly and grumbled. “Morning dad.” He smiled, “Were you watching me sleep again?” He nodded. I smiled. “Was I dreaming?” He nodded. My heart sunk. He had a look in his eyes like he knew. It would kill him that I hadn’t told him.

Worse yet, this is a man who is nearly two thousand years old. He has killed people for looking at him funny before. Imagine if he found out there was a boy dating me? He’d kill him. He’d scare him away.

“Something about blood,” he frowned, “Did someone douse you?” I nodded. He took my hand, “It will be okay. I need your help today Summer. Over in Spain there is something big going on. I think two vampire clans are going to meet.”

“Yessir. Can I get dressed first?” He nodded and left the room. I picked out an outfit, and put it on. I did my makeup, together, since I’ve got it down to a fine art only took a half hour. The whole time I was thinking if I should tell him or not. It represented it on my face with the tears rolling down of black makeup, and the third eye I sometimes drew over my sixth chakra was closed.

“You ready?” He asked. Usually my mother went with him to quell vampiric disputes. She was one of the most powerful lupines in the world. But I was wondering why he wanted me to go. But I would never ask.

He took my hand, and he willed us both to appear in Spain. It was an odd ability he had picked up over the years. The vampires were meeting in an old forgotten ruin of some castle. Father and I waited impatiently. That’s when three vampires arrived.

My father looked at me, while the other vampires arrived on the opposite side.

“You called in Janus?” One said with spite towards the other group.

“Of course we need an arbiter.”

They looked at my father, who pushed me forward. That was why he wanted me. He wanted me to arbitrate this. The dispute was over territory, and I was able to handle it using a trade and barter system. There was a bar that had opened up in between the two. It was a dance club, and vampires love dance clubs.

He took us home and he went to spend time with Mom, so I went to spend time with a book. After a couple of hours, he walked in and said, “What did you learn today?”

To which I replied, “That only if you can compromise can a peace be met.”

He thought for a second. Smiled and walked away. That was the one thing father and I did everyday. The day Chris asked me out.

I lied to him.

The thing I learned was that there is love out there, even for me. Still no word from Chris; I can only assume that means he thinks I am a mistake. Even if he called my cell phone, to tell me hello, and he missed me the past two days. I think he is ashamed of me.

-Dawn

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris Eastman said...

Don't ever think that. I do not, and cannot, think you are a mistake. I'm sorry I haven't called. You know what...I think I will. *picks up phone to call*

1:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home