Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Summer's Journal: Fifth Entry

My mother is Jesse O’Ciardha. I am her. When I wake up in the morning, I may have the name Summer Dawn, but I know for a fact I am Jesse. I keep a journal, like Jesse. I am submissive to the one I love, like Jesse. When I go to bed, I go to bed an O’Ciardha, even if I am nothing else, I am an O’Ciardha.

Today something happened that further illustrated this point. How irrational and instinct driven I actually am. I always prefer to be thought of like my father, ever thinking, in control of everything that he does. But I didn’t inherit that from him. I got my mother’s instinct driven mind.

Ashley, the girl who I saved from a demon, decided to approach me today. She walked up to me, and said, “We need to talk, Dawn.” I noticed her minion was not with her. I raised an eyebrow, but I nodded, and she walked away.

It was only then that I realized we had not agreed on a time and a place. So I went through with my day. Pretending not to pay attention in class, or in fact not paying attention in class, I can never tell which one it is. It was at lunch she approached me again, she didn’t sit, she stood.

“Dawn can we please go away from everyone?” There are some things I should have done at this moment. I should have realized that emotion buried deep in her eyes was anger. I should have also realized that she had her fists clenched, but hindsight is 20/20, and what can you do but question your reasoning for doing something in the first place.

I followed her. She led me to behind the bleachers. Now normally someone who uses their head rather than their instincts would have realized it was the remotest part of campus and no-one ever went there. But I’m not a thinking creature, I’m Jesse O’Ciardha. I use instincts, and to me, this human girl, wanted to challenge me on my territory. So I kept walking.

She turned, “Dawn! What the hell did you do to me?” I think I growled. I think. Maybe I howled. Or maybe I said, “What do you mean?” The reason I think I said that was because of her response, “With that guy in the alley, he burst into flames, and you hit me.” I’m not sure what I did here, did I grow claws? I think. That’s how my mother would have reacted, but I think I said, “That sounds like a terrible dream.” She held her head, “It was real!” I looked up. She had a crazed look in her eyes. She was tired of people saying it was a dream.

“It was real, I saved you,” I responded. She let out a sigh of relief. Then she looked at me, “You hit me, You let me think I was crazy!” I didn’t have time to think. Instinct took over. She swung at me, and I blocked it, grabbed her arm, and hip tossed her behind me. I stood in a feral position, my long pointed nails were now claws. The same nails I used to make Chris relax as I ran them along his cheek to make his back become glued to the chair the first day I met them, were now claws. That’s right. Claws.

She bull rushed me, and I cut her cheeks with my nails, and I slammed her into the ground jumping over her.

I’m a china doll, how was I fighting so well?

She stood, dirt mixed with the blood on her cheek. She held it, and looked at me. Her breathing began to become eratic. There was no time to think, she unleashed a volley of attacks. It took one good elbow to her cheek to plant her on the ground. That’s right, I’m Jesse O’Ciardha.

She laid there crying. I knelt next to her. It wasn’t about fight or flight anymore, that’s what my dad would do, he would kill her or walk away. Not me. I’m Jesse O’Ciardha. I knelt next to her, using my knees as my seat, and I put her head on my thighs.

“Its best if you forget what happened,” I said as I began to pick the stone and dirt from her cut cheeks, I didn’t want her to have scars. I stroked her hair. She began to sob heavier, “Shh, Calm down Babydoll.”

I am my mother.

My mother called me, and still calls me baby-doll. She didn’t have much of a child-hood. She never got a nickname like that. A term of endearment if you will. Ashley looked up at me. It was an awkward moment for me. Because I could still see the hatred in her eyes. I set her head down.

I stood, and walked away, I had to wash the blood off of my nails. Later that day, after I got to see my boyfriend. We smiled at each other. There was a moment when I stared into his eyes. I sat behind him. And the whole class I ran those nails along his back to let him know I was there.

That’s when a note came for me. I was wanted in the office. My parents had been called about a fight, and they were waiting there for me with the Principal. My Principal was a big guy, who had a toupee. He was a simple man, and always fair in any dealings I had with him.

My father and my mother sat there, and I sat in between them. My mother took my hand, and my father stared intently at the principal.

“Summer fought with a Miss. Ashley Jones today. She left four long marks on her cheeks with her nails. Ashley refuses to say anything else about the incident and the school wishes you to know Summer needs to be suspended.” My father nodded, “She should. It was wrong of her to fight.” He looked at me. I held back a laugh, there was a smile in his eyes I had seen often.

“Okay. Its sad though, because I consider Summer one of our best students. But rules are rules. Summer I will allow you to collect your things, and I will see you in three days, okay?”

“Yessir,” I nodded. I did as ordered. Once outside I looked at my mother, and I smiled. “Mom. I love you.” I ran to her and hugged her tightly against me. “I love you too, Babydoll.”

I am my mother, without a doubt.

-Dawn

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

We try not be like our parents, but we end up with same traits we hate.

3:09 PM  
Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

Even a necromancer has to go and see the Principal.

2:03 PM  
Blogger Summer Dawn O'Ciardha said...

I guess so. That tickled me, Captain.

10:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home