Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Janus' Record: 3

(Recorded on Phonograph)

“I always thought there was some chronological order that needed to be followed when one kept a journal. Especially one like this; one of reflection, normally I would have continued with the continued meetings of myself with my wife. The next one in the series of events always makes me cry when I think about it. I am skipping it for now.

“Instead; my daughter has been doing something that has hurt me lately and I want to get it out in the open. Or out to someone. Who knows no-one may ever hear these and it would be pointless to even say it. I’m rambling now…

“My daughter has not told me about her boyfriend. As far as her speaking to me; I don’t even know who he is or if he exists. She’s been keeping it from me. The only reason I know is because my wife told me.

“Summer Dawn used to tell me everything. She would often in her youth find something in my garden and she would run to me and ask me to explain everything to her. What it was, how it lived, how its body worked together. If it was a plant she would ask me the uses for it.

“She once found my patch of wolfsbane in the back corner. She grabbed a flower and ran it to her mother.

-Laughter-

“Who once she smelled it went feral and ran from the room whimpering and yelping. Summer thought she had hurt her mother and she ran to me crying. She kept saying she was sorry to me. I told her she had done nothing wrong. But that the flower could hurt her mommy very badly.

“She asked why. So I had to explain. She was around four. She had grown up to that point with a vampire for a father and a werewolf for a mother so her mind at that point thought that was the norm. I had to explain to her that not everyone’s families were like that. I told her that the flower was said to have been spawned from the first werewolf’s spilt blood and that originally quicksilver was the only thing that could water it.

“She looked up to me; ‘How?’ She asked. I told her that it was magic. Which was the answer. She nodded. At this point in time she shared her looks with me. Her hair was raven black. She pushed it behind her ear. I remember it clearly; there is no specific reason why. She took the flower and tossed it into the fireplace.

-Laughter-

“The smoke coming from the fire became an allergen to her mother. Jesse kept sneezing for days on end. I had to bring in Giorgio to clean the whole house. Sometimes on the fourth floor, when she enters a couple of the rooms Jesse still sneezes.

“My Daughter got her wonderful red hair from her Godmother. Summer got a lot of things from her Godmother. When Summer was small she showed nothing that would make her abnormal. She was going to be a normal girl. I would like you (The listener) to know, I was fine with this. She would be overwhelmed. Her cousin was Wolfblooded. She showed all the traits of a Dhampir with none of the benefits.

“Thousand Faces; as a sixth birthday present gave each of the children a gift. Brendan’s was to regenerate at a pace that matched my own. Summer’s was the magic gene and red hair. In the structure of each of our DNA which Thousand Faces so kindly and professionally can alter there is lines. Specific lines that determine whether a person is a vampire, werewolf, or a magic user; Summer was lacking all traces of these.

“I did not agree with Thousand Faces’ choice at first. Summer was in a family of werewolves and mages. The only other mage was Thousand Faces herself. But I yield to Thousand Face’s Judgment; her and I have been alive for such a long time we think alike on most subjects. I trust her with my own life. That’s a very small list of people who I feel that way about.

“Magic works differently for each person. No mage has exactly the same powers. I’ve heard that today; as it stands, Summer Dawn is the only Necromancer. The only True Necromancer I should say. All Demons can raise the dead. People who drink Demon blood can too. But Summer is the only true Necromancer.

“How did I get there? Back to Summer when she was younger; When she was a baby and I held her in my arms and she was fussy I would read her Lewis Carroll’s ‘Through the Looking Glass’, she would calm down. Whenever she was hurt or sad she would always grab my copy of the book and stumble over to me and have me read it to her.

“As she progressed in age she also progressed in reading. By her kindergarten year, she was reading and writing at a fourth grade level. By Fourth Grade she was reading at a ninth grade level. By ninth grade she was reading at a college freshman reading level. She’s a sophomore now and she reads well above a college grad level.

“She would always grab books for me to read to her; some of them were textbooks. Some novels. Other poetry books. But everyday I would read her part of a book. For fun; since we do not have television in the house. Mind you I love Television, but Jesse grew up without it, and she felt Summer Dawn would be better off in the same Fashion.

“Television is a bad thing. When books are the only entertainment, then it makes an enjoyment out of books one cannot have with Television. Music is a big thing for Summer. Its very funny. As music has changed throughout the ages my Musical taste changed with it. I find myself listening to the same stuff Summer does. She’ll often come to me, with her hand open, and I will have to hand her, her new Compact Disc.

“Summer also wasn’t always a Goth. She didn’t change to be a Goth until her twelfth year. She realized, then, that Emerson was right with his Self Reliance and that she needed to be different from the corruption that was society. That was also when she…

-Pause-

“Dad?”

“Yes Summer Dawn?”

“It’s the middle of the night. Who are you talking to?”

“The Phonograph, if you consider that a person.”

-Feminine Yawn-

“What are you talking to it about?”

“Life baby-doll.”

“Come and tuck me in? Will you bring Through the Looking Glass? I had a bad dream.”

“What about?”

“A friend of mine getting hurt.”

“Whom?”

“Someone you don’t know… I’ll be up there.”

-Door Closing-

“I’m going to go take care of my baby. She had a nightmare about Chris getting hurt. Whenever she speaks of ‘A friend of mine’, or ‘Someone you don’t know’, then it means Chris.”

2 Comments:

Blogger Janus said...

Very much so...

11:58 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Kids grow up fast. We miss the little things.

4:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home