Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Summer's Journal: Eightenth Entry

I love and hate Halloween. I hate Halloween because everyone dresses up in costume and pretends to be witches, wizards, vampires, werewolves, zombies, and even cartoon characters. People make a mockery of what I am.

I am a witch, I am part vampire, I am part werewolf. It is a terrible day. In general, of course, I have to get dressed up, and I do every year. My mother wakes me in the morning, and together we put together an outfit.

My father assists us in getting materials. This year, I decided to send a message to everyone at school. I put on a blonde wig, and had my mother do my makeup. It took my father a while to find the feature of the costume, a pregnant belly.

In the end I smiled when I looked in the mirror. It was a perfect representation of what our culture has become. I was a pregnant cheerleader, I held an empty unlabeled bottle in my hand, and I had a pack of candy cigarettes in my bra.

I smudged the make up some. I looked at my mother. She looked at me. We laughed together, “Remember its special you come home tonight. Spend your time with Chris, and be home by five.”

“Yes mam.” I grabbed my book bag and I activated my necklace, making me appear at Brendan’s house. I looked at my cousin, he was dressed as a, that’s right, a werewolf.

“Nice Summer, how many fights do you want to get into today?” I raised my eyebrow, “Interesting choice.” He responded with, “If you can’t laugh at yourself, then why laugh.” I tapped my fingers impatiently. Chris walked down the street, and he met with us, “By the way, Happy Birthday Brendan.” Brendan immediately shifted. I knew he didn’t like the fact he was born on Halloween.

Chris was wearing a Gomez Adam’s outfit. I tapped my finger impatiently, which he responded with, “I thought you hated Halloween, why would you dress up for it? I did it because I figured you could be my Morticia… But I like your costume… It’s going to tick off a lot of people.”

I smiled, together we walked to school. Brendan pulled Chris back, and Chris immediately ran up, “Summer!” Chris said. I stopped, “Happy Birthday.” I kissed his cheek and hugged him, “Thanks dear, but it’s really not that big of a deal.”

“It is to me, Happy Birthday.” I held his hand, and together we walked into school. I separated from him, I didn’t want him to get hassled for my actions, and he realized that. The first person to come up to me was the head cheerleader. She was dressed in the skimpiest thing she could find.

A really short skirt, a revealing tube top, and nothing else to cover herself; she stared at me intently. That’s another frustrating thing about Halloween, every girl feels the need to dress like a slut. Then if they called up on it, they can deny it.

“What the hell do you think you are doing?” She asked. “Making a statement,” I responded, “Perhaps its one you could learn from.” “You think that’s what’s going to happen to me?” “No, Its just a statement, you can back off.” “You think you are cool?” “I am when I wear this outfit. I represent your darker side, what you deny doing yourself.”

She shoved on my shoulder, I hit the locker and I laughed, “Perhaps next year, I should make black bruises all over me.” I walked by her. That wasn’t the first encounter, but all of them ended and began in the same way.

The day crawled by, and I pretty much went through the motions. At the end however, Chris was waiting for me. His hands were behind his back, and he smiled at me. He pulled a dozen long stem roses from behind his back.

I took a step back, not out of fear but because I didn’t know how to react. I think I cried, I know I wanted to kiss him, and I ran to him, and as we were about to meet lips, and Brendan ran up to me, “Summer. Its almost five.”

I slapped Brendan, I smiled at Chris. I kissed his cheek again, and hugged him tightly to me. It was so sweet of him. I kissed his cheek another time. I took his hand in mine. He handed me the roses. I cradled them in my arm like a child. Another tear streaked down my cheek.

I would love to go into great depth and describe my happiness in his action towards me. I wanted to kiss him, so badly, but with Brendan there, I could never do it. I’ve never been kissed before on the lips. If Brendan was there it would ruin my first kiss.

Needless to say, I was rushed away from Chris. Our family has a tradition. On our birthday, we get together as a family, and we sit, eat a meal, do cake and presents, and swap stories. On November 1st, we all stay in my house, as does my aunt’s pack, and anyone they care about.

November 1st is a bad day for us all to be out. All Saints day we all lose everything that makes us special. My dad is weakned to being a human, my mom and aunt can’t change. I can’t cast magic.

November 1st is also when we need it the most. The hunters and the Illuminati seem to pick All Saints Day to hunt us, and I can’t blame them. We can’t defend ourselves. But on November 2nd All Souls day, the tables turn. The hunters become weaker, and we become stronger.

But that’s for tomorrow and the next day’s entry (maybe). But as far as the ‘party’ is concerned, nothing happened different. To me a birthday is just another day and nothing else. The presents I got, did make me smile however, a whole stack of hunting gear, I would be stocked for a long time. I also got more makeup and clothing. My dad spoiled me on my birthday. And this birthday, to make up for saying he was disappointed in me, he got me, extra presents.

Uncle Rapier spoiled Brendan in the same way. And together we had a pile of loot anyone could be jealous of. I appreciated all of my gifts. But the one I found myself longing to hold and look at were Chris’ roses.

I guess I kind of love Halloween.

I guess.

-Dawn

3 Comments:

Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

If everybody drsses up in unusual clothes at Halloween, what would you dress up as?

1:27 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Good question, Jean-luc.

2:20 PM  
Blogger Skywalker said...

Preggers cheerleader. I see the irony in that.

2:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home