Thursday, November 09, 2006

Summer's Journal: Twenty-Second Entry

Brendan didn’t take it well yesterday to say the least, and as I write this my aunt is still missing, and every hour since I found out, I’ve become more and more upset. To write this now, is taking a great amount of control, but I need to record my thoughts and concern since it will tear me up if I do not do something about them.

Uncle Rapier is the most broken, he is blaming himself totally, and hasn’t stopped looking for her since we found out. We can’t even find him, and when we call him, he answers, and says, “I haven’t found her yet.”

Brendan and Lara are in little better condition; Brendan is following every single scent trail. Lara is shaking down people, trying to find her. Mother has turned full wolf, and has been looking on the outskirts of town, and finding nothing.

It is looking hopeless. The only two people in my family who are not freaking out completely are dad and I, and I am close to breaking.

I am so ashamed of myself… Today when I was walking through town instead of searching with my eyes and my voice, I started looking for a corpse. I dare not tell anyone in my family, but I searched and I searched all over town, and I found no-one who matched my aunt. I was so thankful for that.

Then my father called. He asked me to come to him, he was in the far end of town. I ran there, and was dead tired by the time I arrived. “Smell,” he said. I did as ordered, I didn’t smell anything.

“Smell further down that way, I smell decaying flesh.” My heart dropped. I walked down the alley, morbidly. I smelled, and I recoiled. I ran to my dad, and I hugged him and I began to cry on his chest. I hit him. Not because it was his fault, but because I was so angry, and frustrated.

My knees gave out beneath me, “Please tell me you’re lying… Please tell me its not her.” He spoke softly, “I cannot find the source…” I closed my eyes, and I reached out, looking for a corpse, and I didn’t find it, but with a smell so strong it had to be there somewhere.

I sighed happily, “Nothing is there…” Dad stumbled backwards, He began to cry as well. I knelt next to him. I was scared, truly scared now, and he knew it. He was the strength of the family. He was the one who supported the weight of the family and he broke.

What was in store for the family if the strongest member just broke? I hugged him. Then I went down to the end of the alleyway. I smelled strongly, I had a human nose; everyone else in my family has an advanced sense of smell. So I smelled, and tried to pinpoint, when I found it, it was a shirt. Nothing in it, and it didn’t smell like decaying flesh, decaying flesh smells far different, this was vegetable matter, it smelled of the swamp.

“Dad, its just a smelly old shirt,” I said, “I am going to keep looking.” Brendan and I passed each other silently. It was hard to see him looking like that, and I knew if I tried to stop him it would be futile.

His eyes were dead and tired. But he walked by me. I was the least helpful of everyone. But I had to keep searching. Finally, it became nightfall, and my father told me to find Brendan, knock him unconscious and wake him in the morning to look again. He told me he needed sleep.

The vampires kept looking. With little or no need for sleep, they didn’t have to stop.

When I found Brendan, I tried to stop him, and he pushed by me. I took out my silver hammer, and I hit him in the back of the head. He slumped onto the ground. I knelt to him, held him, and used my necklace to take him back to my house.

I dragged him to my bed, and I laid him in it. I put a cool rag on his head, and I covered him with a blanket. I kissed his cheek.

“She would not go gently into that good night,” I spoke to him. I then began to write what is written here now. I am still, so worried, and I want to see Aunt Page again, I want her to be safe.

-Dawn

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Ouch, a sliver hammer? *rubes head*

11:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home