Monday, November 27, 2006

Summer's Journal: Twenty-Third Entry

There are two forms of getting what we want in the family. I am not well versed in either. When there is something I want, I just reach out and take it. Sometimes the direct approach isn’t the best, or that’s what I had been taught.

An IRS agent approached the house today, when he arrived at the door, I was the one who answered, “Are you Jesse Carey?” I shook my head not, “Tha-“ “Then are you Jesse O’Ciardha.” “No. Tha-“ “Is the person who I named currently here?” “Yes, but you’ll want to talk to my father…” “Your father? What’s your last name?” “O’ci-“

“Get me your father little girl.” I bit my lip, and I walked into the library, “Dad, there’s a real bas-“ “Summer, you’re mother would wash your mouth out with soap.” I was frustrated at this point, I couldn’t even finish a sentence this morning. I followed my father out to the IRS agent.

“What’s your name Sir?” My father was taken back immediately by this, “Jeffrey McDubshile.” The IRS agent rolled his eyes, “How is it spelled?” My father spelled it out for him, “This hotel’s deed lies in the name Janus McDubshile. How did you acquire the title?” My father answered, “My father Janus died, thank you for bringing up painful memories.”

The IRS agent looked to his book, “Did you know Jeffrey that the person known as Jesse O’Ciardha who is living at this house owes back taxes for seventeen years?” My father looked thoughtful, “No, no I did not. Are you sure?”

My father winked at me, and the IRS agent looked down at his book, “I was pretty sure… But…I’ll check again.” He looked down, then back up, “Yes, Yes she does owe seventeen years.” My father thought for a second, “Okay but you know she lived in Europe for a long time.”

The IRS agent seemed unphased, “No, she’s still going to have to pay up.” My father sighed, “How much is it?” The IRS agent responded, “$17,341.56.” My father’s eyes widened as did mine, “How?” “All of the land she owns surrounding this mansion, including several plots in the Dakotas and several more in the mountains north of here, and several homes in towns scattered about the United States.”

“Go get your mother.” I did as ordered. This IRS agent had a strong will to resist my dead, and my dad didn’t want to break the poor guy. My dad’s subtle persuasion didn’t even work. I went into my father and mother’s room, and found my mother getting dressed.

“There is an IRS agent here, Dad’s didn’t work. He sent me to get you,” she continued what she was doing without responding to me, and then she walked past me. I followed her, and when my mother crossed the hall, all I heard was.

“WHO ARE YOU TO COME INTO MY HOME AND TO TELL ME I OWE YOU MONEY?!” The IRS agent didn’t even have a chance to respond before my mother went on, “YOUR GOVERNMENT DOESN’T GIVE A SINGLE MOTHER ANY SUPPORT, AND THE ONLY PERSON WHO WILL HELP ME IS JEFFREY, AND HE CAN’T EVEN DO THAT PROPERLY. AND YOU COME INTO MY HOUSE TELLING ME I OWE YOU MONEY?!” He began to stutter, “but-but…” She tore into him again, “NO, NO BUTS. I CAN’T EVEN KEEP HER FED AND IN CLOTHES. LOOK AT HOW PALE SHE IS! NO, BACK UP, AND WALK AWAY!”

The IRS agent was just staring at my mother, he took a step back, “Mam,” he said firmly, “First of all calm down. Second of all, the IRS cannot just ignore $17,000. No matter how good your sob story is. So take a step back down. You own 1,000 acres in Dakato, and the land surrounding here you own 50 acres, and in the mountains nearby you own 300 acres. The land in the mountains contains a small building. In Philadelphia, Elizabethtown, Lover, and Erie Pennsylvania, and you own a house in every state on the eastern seaboard. You are well to do, mam. So pay my the money.”

She calmed down and was speechless. My father was speechless because apparently he didn’t know my mother owned so much land. I concentrated very hard, and a trickle of blood came out of my mouth. I called a banshee to aid me for a moment, and around me, I felt her coldness, and I gave her energy, she manifested, and wailed, and the IRS agent shook with fear, and then fainted.

My father and mother both turned and looked at me, “Summer Dawn,” my father said, “That wasn’t entirely helpful.” I knelt at the book, and I began to read it all. I smiled, “Write it all off.” My mother looked at me, and my father laughed, “Mom, you can write off taxes.”

My father began to write everything down, and he took care of the fraud we were committing. He then woke the IRS agent.

“Are you okay?” My mother asked, “You fainted.” He looked around, “huh?” My father spoke, “Yes, you fainted. It was a mess.” He looked at his papers, “What’s all this?” My father spoke, “I don’t know, you were the one who was writing everything down.”

He nodded, and very confused left the house. I giggled. Maybe the direct approach is still the best approach.

-Dawn

2 Comments:

Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

This seems a good approach to me, Summer.

3:20 PM  
Blogger Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator said...

Hey the government needs that money to fight the war on terr'r. If you don't pay your taxes, the terr'ists win. Don't mess with Texshas.

Sorry. Somehow I was invoking George W. there for a minute.

3:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home