Friday, December 01, 2006

Janus' Record: 4

(Kept by Phonograph)

“This is another recording about my Daughter, because I am still feeling very upset that she hasn’t told me about Chris yet. It has been another day. She can’t trust me to tell me she has a boyfriend. Does she think I will hurt him?

“Thousand Faces, Aurora Dawnsfire was the one who gave my daughter her mage gene, but a mage doesn’t acquire magic through having the mage gene. Some people who have it will never be able to use their magic. My daughter was one of the fortunate ones who was able to unlock her abilities.

“When she was thirteen, I had to do a routine check of a place of local legends in Europe. It was something I often did, checked the place where the rift between the spiritual world and this one, and a place of supernatural interest.

“This one of interest is a cemetery of unmarked tombs, and a whole lot of them. The theory is that a whole family was slain, and the killer buried their bodies in unmarked tombs separating those who were closest furthest apart.

“The other theory was that all a rogue mage created a temporus fissure and it ripped the souls from the bodies, and the unmarked graves contain actually no corpses. Some people believe that it was where an angel fell from grace, and landed on a household, and killed all the people in it.

“The theories all stand to be proven, all I know is I have to go there once a year and make sure the restless, perhaps, dangerous spirits are not traveling about and killing people. I told Jesse what I was doing, and Summer who was sitting nearby wanted to spend time with me.

“’Daddy,’ she said, ‘Can I come too?’ I looked to Jesse, and Jesse nodded, and I said, ‘Sure Summer.’ She ran to her room. I knew this was going to take longer than it should. She returned wearing blue jeans, a baby blue t-shirt, and her flaming red hair pulled back.

-Laughter-

“She had done a quick job of her make-up, it was red lipstick, rose colored cheeks, soft blue eyeshadow.

-Laughter and more Laughter-

“Oh man,

-Laughter-

“I forgot how she used to dress. She was such a little princess. She wasn’t terrible, but she always had to look pretty, and she always wanted to be aesthetically pleasing to everyone. She used to wear bright colors…

-Heavy laughter-

“And Pink!

-Even heavier laughter-

“Oh God, Pink and Summer!

-Laughter-

“I wish I had pictures!

-Laughter starting to calm-

“She ran to me, and took my hand. I concentrated and we appeared in the nearest town. The first thing we had to do was we had to speak with the locals about activity. Summer, at this point in her life, only knew a couple of languages, other than English, of course. I think she knew… French and Spanish, I think she was just getting into German.

“But, we had to ask the locals if anything weird was going on. The fifteen people I asked didn’t hear anything. Summer’s had heard of a child going deep into the moor and disappearing and anyone who went to find him never came back.

“To me, this meant either stupid people, or something was killing them as they got out there. ‘As you value your life or your reason keep away from the moor,’ Summer recited. I smiled, ‘Perhaps.’

“We began our trek to the moor. It was a long walk, and along the way Summer kept trying to keep busy by looking at the wildlife around her. As we went further down the path into the moor, it became darker and darker, and Summer began to shrink in on herself.

“I didn’t know what to say to comfort her, as that we were getting towards the cemetery where this nexus was supposed to be. She kept walking closer and closer to me until finally every sound made her jump, and she squeezed me around my stomach.

“’Summer dear,’ I said, ‘I won’t let anything happen to you.’ She nodded into me. I wasn’t sure she was convinced. Finally we arrived at the cemetery. It had changed. More people had been added, there was even a mausoleum. Summer looked around.

“The first sign of anything the least bit dangerous was a moan of a person who had lost their life before its time. Summer closed her eyes, and she held me tightly. The fog rolled in at that very moment, and covered us.

“’Daddy, make it go away!’ She pleaded. I closed my eyes, and I pushed on the fog. It didn’t retreat which meant it was supernatural. ‘I can’t,’ Summer began to shake at this time.

“I asked her if she wanted me to take her home, and she said no. I don’t know what made her want to stay here so bad, was it pressure from me? She walked forward, and she took steps on her own. Whenever I went towards her, I hit a barrier, I looked down, someone had made a stream’s path encase the graveyard and I couldn’t cross it.

“I can only tell what I remember, she came back over that stream a changed person. I don’t honestly know what she saw over there, or what happened, but I remember the trickle of blood coming from her mouth and she looked at me and said, ‘Daddy,’ I thanked God she still held the sweet tones of love she had before, ‘There was a man over there. I killed him. I had to… He was going to kill me.’ I nodded, and hugged her, and she hugged me tightly back.

“’I want to go home now, I am very tired,’ she said with a yawn. I kissed the top of her head, and I took her home. I laid her in her bed, and she fell asleep. The next morning when she woke up she wore the only black clothes she owned, and she did her makeup in the gothic look.

“I wish I could recite more, but I wasn’t there, and she had never told anyone what went on over there, not me, or not her mother, but whatever it was, it allowed her to use her magic.

“I think I am going to go see if she asleep, and if she is, watch her for a couple of moments before I lay down myself.”

2 Comments:

Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

A creepy tale indeed.

2:53 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yes very.

11:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home