Thursday, October 12, 2006

Summer's Journal: Eighth Entry

Today was a busy day for me, and I am very tired. At my school there have been some mysterious disappearances lately. Well under normal circumstances, we have one to three students go missing a semester. We are a town filled with supernatural creatures and entities.

But in the last week alone three students have disappeared. Not the normal gutter crawlers either. See the normal students who go missing are gutter crawlers, the type of kids who hang out in dark alleyways and shoot themselves with needles. The three who disappeared this week were not gutter crawlers at all.

The first was a straight A goody-two-shoes. She went to church every Sunday and she stopped me in the hall three or four times asking me with I wanted to go to church with her the next time she went. Several times she asked me to go to youth group with her.

If you couldn’t already guess, that’s not really my thing. Was I rude to her like I was to the snobs and preps that prided themselves on tripping me in the hall, and trying to mentally break me down? No, I was nice, and declined in like, “No thank you. It’s not really something I have an interest in doing.”

She frowned and shrugged, “Okay. Maybe next time?” I nodded, “Maybe next time.” Now that she is missing. I feel some sort of an obligation to find the thing that killed her and repay it in like. It kind of makes me wonder, if it was one of us, why would they choose her? Her blood would burn them and taste bland. It was one of the benefits to being pious.

Unless like us all she wore a mask.

So at school I began to search for her trail. Any little clues, but there was nothing. So naturally I skipped my classes. When I am on a mission I become blind to my surroundings. I walked into the school’s office.

“Yes Miss O’Ciardha, what do you need?” The secretary asked me.

“I just was coming to report that the seniors have created a prank that can’t be topped or stopped. There is a rather large animal in the quad, rampaging around.”

The secretary rushed to the principle’s office, and they ran out of the central office. I ran to the computer and quickly brought up Kara’s file. Kara was her name. She was in school when she went missing. She had made it to school. She went missing between her second and third period classes.

I quickly scribbled down the classes, and closed the window, and I ran from the office. I went to her second period class and I walked to her third. It was quite a walk. She would have found the fastest way.

As I was walking back to her second period class there was a door, it led to a stairwell heading up and down. I walked up, and it was right next to her class. I walked down the stairs, all the way down.

Often had I been so lost I walked down too many stairs and had to go back up. So I followed the stairwell down. It was a maintenance basement. I tried the door handle softly. It was locked.

I ran my fingers along the cold door. I rested my hand over the lock. I concentrated magic into my hand. The door began to rust around the lock, and I pushed on it, as the rust fell to the floor. In the next room there were pipes and nothing else. I investigated the dust.

There were marks in the dust. Foot prints, barefoot. But they weren’t human. There were lines in the dust, and they led to the next door. I opened it gently, and I listened closely.

“Says it!” A screech echoed in the room as I heard sobs, “Says it now!” There was a girl crying. I smelled sewage, urine, and blood, “She says it, she says it now!” I reached into my side pouch. That’s right, I carry a small pouch that is black on my belt. Purses are so worthless.

I withdrew a container of salt, “It says it now precious!” Trying to be a little to Gollum? It was a squeaky voice, and I heard a voice like it before.

“Please,” Kara pleaded, “What did I do to you?”

“Says the words precious! Says you the bad word. Tells me a lie…”

I peered around the corner. The rat demon was facing Kara who was tied to chains and hanging off the ground, I could see the clear purple bruises at her wrists, and how her body was giving up the fight slowly. But she didn’t have any open cuts.

Even though the girl hanging from the wall was an overwhelming presence in the room, and the rat demon, the little creature who stood as tall as a human hip, who was more rat than human. It was the pile of bones in the corner that were picked clean that brought my eyes to it. I quietly came behind the demon and I put a circle of salt around it.

It turned to me, and its brown eyes turned bright red, and it screeched, as it tried to pounce at me. It hit the wall, and it began to cry.

“Lets us out!” I walked by it, and went to Kara, I reached up and held onto her, as I untied the ropes. She clung to me tightly. I wasn’t strong enough to hold her, and I fell backwards onto the ground and I cut open my leg. It was pure filth that went into it, the remnants of the after effect of those bones, but that wasn’t the worst part.

The worst part was that the circle of salt was now spread out, and the rat demon leapt towards me. I frantically pushed Kara after me. It had been a long time since I’ve been to confession, and Kara probably confesses everyday.

I began to run around the room. It seemed pointless, I know, but I couldn’t fight it. I had to get the salt. My words of power wouldn’t work because of how weak of a demon it was. I leapt towards the salt, and once I grabbed it I ripped off the top and covered the rat demon in it. He began to screech and cry and his flesh began to burn.

Kara was in the corner crying, and I was going to get feverish real soon. I shuffled through my pack quickly, I tossed the wolfsbane extract away and it shattered, and I grabbed the vial of holy water, and doused the rat again. He melted into a puddle and I limped over to Kara. The adrenaline had worn off, and now I was going to be hurting.

The pain was so intense, that creature’s filth had infected my room, and it already felt inflamed. I helped her off the ground, and she began to get hysterical. It was just her mind telling her to forget.

Once I got her out of the room, I began to hush her hugging her tightly. “Kara, calm down, its over now…” My leg flared in pain as I could feel my heartbeat deep in it. I soothed her, and told her it would all be okay. I grabbed my cell phone, I called 911, told them where I was, and I ripped my skirt, wrapped my wound, and I pulled her up to the outside. I limped away. All they would need is to get ahold of my blood.

That’s when I felt hot. My leg gave out, and I hit the ground with a dull thud. I grabbed my cell phone and called my father. He appeared, and looked at me. He grabbed me gently, “You look like you need to get home…”

He grabbed me, and went through the painful process of cleaning my wound. He stiched it and needless to say, once I was done, my makeup had run from my tears, and I stunk like the sewage I fell in, plus some sweat. I took a shower, and sat down to write in this journal.

Could have been worse; could be dead.

-Dawn

2 Comments:

Blogger Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator said...

I'd hate to encounter a rat demon. I hope that I never have to.

10:19 AM  
Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

That was tricky, Summer. Always have some holy water handy.

2:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home