Friday, October 27, 2006

Summer's Journal: Fiftenth Entry

The moment I walked in the door from school today, my father was standing there, “We are going to France; it may be a couple of days.” I inquired, “Something need to die?” He nodded. I went up to my room and I began to pack my bag. My father opened the door to my room and threw me a necklace. It was a cat eye shell.

My eyes widened, “Dad, this doesn’t allow me much room to believe it is killable. You’ve never handed me something like this.” He blinked once, and left the room. That’s when I heard yelling. It was my mother.

“Why does she have to come, we don’t even know what this thing is!” I shrunk down onto my bed. My mother never yells. Just once, and it was a long time ago. “Where’s your mother?!” My father responded. “I don’t know! But she’s still a child, and this thing could be even out of your league.” That’s not very good. “That’s why she needs to come! What if this thing is a necro? Do you want to get ripped apart by an undead army?!” “She’s my daughter! She’ll stay here where it is safe!” “She’s a young woman; I think it’s her choice.” My mother stayed quiet, “She’s my little girl.” My father responded with, “She’s my little girl too, but she has to grow up!”

“You know Janus, if we ask her, do you know what that will put her though?! She could never choose! You’re being irresponsible.” My father was the one who was quiet this time, “I trust her abilities.” My mother screamed at him again, “Are you saying I don’t trust her!? Are you saying I can’t trust in my daughter’s abilities?” My father didn’t respond. My mother growled and screamed at him, “Nothing to say then Janus? Come on, you were always so quick witted when we weren’t wed, let’s hear your response!” My father didn’t say anything again.

I sat down on my bed, the tears flowed from my eyes, and I felt sick to my stomach, I don’t like when my parents fight. That’s when I heard my mother’s sob echoed throughout the house, “I’m so sorry… Janus… Please… I love you… I didn’t mean it.” My father didn’t respond. I peeked out of my door, and I saw my mother resting her head against his chest.

I didn’t understand. My father stroked her cheek, “I love you too.” She began to speak softer, and I couldn’t make out what she was saying. I withdrew my three day bag. Then I took my pouch off my side, and I emptied its contents onto my black sheets.

I had restocked on wolfs bane, but I don’t think I’d need it. I had four vials of holy water. I had a salt shaker, and a salt carton. A silver cross and a silver pentagram, I laid them gently upon my bed. I withdrew my special box, I grabbed a vial of sand from the holy land, blessed by a saint. I withdrew my salamander wand.

I shoved all of my objects back in the side pouch, and I grabbed my three day bag, and I took a step outside my door. My mother and father were gone. I walked down to the library; she was laying on him, sobbing softly still.

Once I took a step inside, she rose from him, and kissed his cheek softly. He spoke softly into her ear, and she nodded, “We are almost ready to go Summer. You do not have to go if you don’t want to. I would understand.”

I looked at my mother. She looked away from me as soon as she knew I was going to look at her. I looked to my father, who looked away, “I am your child,” I responded, “If it is both of your wishes, I will go with you.”

My mother nodded and my father nodded. Why had she given up so easily? She was so strong, and so sure, what had he done that made her give up? Had I not seen it? He wasn’t right, was he?

My father and mother went into their room and grabbed a bag each, and my father took both of our hands, and we appeared in a dark alleyway in France. My mother took both my father and my bags and went to fetch us a hotel room. He took me; we were going to do research.

In text, there was nothing. No clues. No hints. Not even a direction. Finally after an hour of searching through text and text of French newspaper, he said, “This is getting us nowhere.” I responded, “Mais oui, mon pere… I mean, Yeah, this is pretty pointless.”

We split up. Town was safe, and we began to ask around. If I wasn’t as fluent as French as I was, it would have been difficult. This was what I found out.

Ten people went missing. Only one returned, and the one that did had their eyes ripped out. He didn’t last through the night, and died from loss of blood. He was mumbling about a run down castle and a word I knew very well. Zombie. But my question was, why was he not ripped apart? Someone was controlling them. Also, his eyes had been pulled out, not ripped or clawed out.

At the local doctor’s office, I saw my father so I backed off, while he worked his magic. I went back to the library and looked at the maps of the area; there was a small run down castle about two miles into the forest. It was once a church, and a graveyard.

That means it can’t be a demon, demons can’t go on hallowed ground. It could be a necro, but only my salamander wand could tell that. I went to the hotel room. I knocked and my mom opened the door.

“I found some stuff out, but I’ll wait for dad. Mom, why did you give up?” She looked at me, “Because I was wrong, dear. I was wrong.” I looked at her, confused, “But you were right.” “No, don’t worry about it, yes mam.”

When my father returned, we exchanged information. We both found out the same things. We would go out tomorrow, and start searching our greatest lead, the abandoned church.

-Dawn

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Oh this is getting good! Sorry, I haven't commented latly I forgot. Sorry.

11:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home