Saturday, October 14, 2006

Summer's Journal: Ninth Entry

My mother and father had a tiff today. I say a tiff, because when they actually fight, it’s the worst thing I’ve ever heard or seen in my life. Singular; I had only ever seen them fight once, and it was a terrible event. I was younger, and when they fought I ran up stairs, and hid in a room, and I could still hear them. They were breaking things.

Whoever reads this, I want you to not think any less of my parents because of their fight when I was younger. But they never really fight, except that one time. Today was a tiff. It was a pointless argument. I think it was about a woman.

When it comes to my dad and women it is clearly a need to survive basis. But if I was my mother I would be upset with him too. When my father feeds from a woman he with the exchange of blood gains that person’s memories. Likewise he cannot distinguish the difference between the people of his own memory and the people of the woman’s.

I think he called my mother Emily and she hadn’t realized he fed. So naturally she thought it was one of the many women of his very long drawn out past. The fight went something like this. “What did you just call me?” “Jesse.” “No you called me Emily!” “No… I called you Jesse.” “Damnit Janus, you always do this to me? Who don’t I compare to this time? Who is it in your past that you wish I was?” “Jesse! I wish you were Jesse!” “Am I not Jesse enough for you?!”

The rest of the fight can’t be continued until my family is revealed. At the head of my family is my father, Janus. He is the masthead in which the ship that is the O’Ciardha’s sails. Whenever anything happens in my family, and a decision has to be made that affects the entire family, he is the one to make it. He’s a little under two thousand years old, a vampire who has earned the respect of so many people.

My mother is Jesse. She fell in love with my father when she was seventeen, and over the period of six years, she fell deeply in love with him. For him to fall in love with her, she had to nearly hit him over the head with a truck. When he did, he fell deeply; deeper than he ever had. She’s a werewolf.

My godmother is Aurora Dawnsfire, more commonly known as Thousand Faces. She is my Godmother because when my mother was a child she was tossed overboard off of a boat, and Aurora found her. She took care of her as a mother would a child, and did so without question. Forever, the only family my mother has was Aurora. And without Aurora, I wouldn’t even be here. As the world knows, vampires cannot have children, and much less could they have children with a werewolf if they could. But Aurora made my father human for an hour. Enough time for me to be conceived.

The only Grandparent I have is my great grandfather, “The Beast” O’Ciardha. He’s the leader of the O’Ciardha clan. It contradicts what was previously written about my father, but as far as werewolves in my family go, “The Beast” is the alpha. But I’ve never actually met the man.

My Aunt Page is my mother’s twin sister. She fell overboard the boat with my mother, but was saved, and she was raised by my grandmother. She’s the alpha. Period. She beat my mother in a fight for control of clan in what they call the dark years, and she’s been the alpha ever since.

My Uncle Rapier is my aunt’s ‘husband’. He’s a dhampir. A half vampire. He’s around four hundred years old, I think. He doesn’t know himself. He’s one of the most heavily trained people with a blade in the world. Like my father, to have Brendan, he was changed to be human by Thousand Faces.

Brendan is my cousin, he and I are like twins. We spend a lot of time together, we can finish each other’s sentences, and we love each other very much. He’s a wolfblood. That means he is going to become a werewolf, but is not one yet.

I’m Summer Dawn. I’m interesting. I’m a hybrid, but somehow, neither dhampir or wolfblood, but instead a necromancer.

My Aunt Page’s pack consists of the nicest largest strongest giant a man could ever meet, Blackback is his name. Jon is in the group, Jon is a computer geek, and he’s a sweet guy who keeps to himself. Eagleeye is the sniper of her pack, and he never speaks, he just watches. Thersea is my Aunt’s Foil. She is the member of the pack that seemed to join just to cause my Aunt grief. But as her daughter, Taryn grew up, so did she. Taryn and Brendan have a spark in their relationship, but they never pursued it. Taryn is five years older than us (that is, Brendan and I.)

My father in the situation was now staring my mother down, and my mother was staring my father down. There was silence. As was demonstrated about my father, he is the head of the family, so I watched this exchange with some sort of twisted glee. I wanted to see if the pecking order I had figured out was true.

He looked down and to the right, and she closed the gap as the wolf she was. She pushed her cheek against his and he looked down still. To him, revealing the neck said he was wrong. To her it was a weakness; now she was going to make him pay for it. He tried to move his head, and she growled.

She wasn’t in her lupine form. It confused me. “I’m sorry,” he said, “I should have told you I fed.” My mother kissed his neck softly, again and again. She then laxed her body until she rolled part of her body down until her head was against his chest. She didn’t say anything, but she kept waiting for him to do something, and a tear rolled down her cheek.

He wiped it away, and stroked her cheek with his thumb, and she sighed, placed her hand next to her cheek, and closed her eyes. The whole exchange confused me. Who was in charge, him or her?

Love, as a certain wife of bath would agree, Is a constant battle for dominance. Right?

-Dawn

2 Comments:

Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

We all have family problems, Summer, but you seem to have more than most.

You are invited to my 300th post, which will appear from Sunday night British time until Tuesday night. Hope you'll be there!

8:17 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Intresting family you have. Never a dull moment, huh?

1:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home