Thursday, January 04, 2007

Summer's Journal: Thirty-Second Entry

Chris and I were defeated today. Not just a normal defeated. A bloody mess defeated. If Chris couldn’t heal, I would still be bleeding. A rogue werewolf entered the school’s quad today. Chris and I were walking to History together and we heard the howl. We instantly knew it wasn’t a dog.

The rogue werewolf was a big one, and as soon as his dark fur contrasted with the snow that laid upon the ground, the normal humans ran. My mother always spoke of human’s fear of the supernatural. Most of them wouldn’t remember why they ran. They would think it was a wolf or a bear.

Chris squeezed my hand, and we knew what we had to do. Whoever this wasn’t smart because Aunt Page’s house was nearby. If the wind blew just right he would be put down. Chris held his hands ready, and I ran to flank the massive brute. It began to snow. The werewolf narrowed his eyes to slits and stared at us.

He was between Chris and I. Not that it was a brilliant idea. He turned to me. I closed my eyes. I began to search for something dead, “Chris there is nothing! Get his attention!” I heard crackles through the air and the werewolf turned. I saw scorch marks on his back.

There was nothing dead, anywhere nearby. Blood filled my mouth; a long bone spear appeared in my hand. I threw it at the Werewolf; it struck his shoulder, and stuck there. He turned to me, and leapt from where he was, and I felt a dull thud hit my chest and sharp pain of his claws. The blood leaked from my mouth and covered my face.

“SUMMER!” Chris yelled as lightning struck the werewolf. It went through me, but I didn’t feel the pain. The werewolf did a flip using my ribs as a jumping board. I groaned, “Make it a blizzard Chris!” I yelled. I fought to my legs, and Blood filled my mouth again, and I threw another spear at him, as Chris began his chant to make it snow even harder.

The snow began immediately so thick I couldn’t see three feet in front of me. I heard him crunch through the snow. He was coming towards me. I saw his muzzle through the snow, and he saw me. I spat the blood in my mouth at his muzzle, and it covered it, he sneezed, the scent of my blood being incredibly strong.

He brought his claw towards my face, and it struck. It ripped clean into my flesh. Chris threw fireballs at him. Not knowing where he was, two went whizzing by. I was starting to tire. I concentrated hard. I raised my arms upward. A wall of bones separated the wolf and I, and I ran around the small barrier, towards Chris.

He broke into it and sent bones flying all around. Chris was shocked when he saw my cheek, “Blow the wind towards Brendan’s house, now!” I gurgled through the blood. He reached for my cheek, and I shot him a look as I raised my arms, and another bone wall appeared. The werewolf leapt through the barrier and He hit Chris.

I spat the blood into his face again, “Over here!” I yelled. I began to run through the snow. He leapt in front of me, and by the time I tried to turn, I slid in the snow and hit the ground. I began to back crawl.

He stalked forward. A barrier of fire was in between it and myself. I jumped at first, and then I realized it was Chris’. The wolf leapt over me towards Chris. I screamed in Astral Speak, “SAVE HIM!” I rolled over and rushed towards where I heard the wolf. He was getting pushed backwards from some thing.

I looked closer and saw five or six ghosts shoving him back. But they were unable to manifest themselves for much longer. Chris concentrated the wind towards Brendan’s house, and both my spirits and his fire died, and the wolf grabbed us both and threw us. I didn’t know where Chris landed, but I landed across the quad. When I hit I felt the dull, dull pain spread through my whole body, and I felt the pain in my nose and my ribs.

I tried for a breath and couldn’t get one. I heard the werewolf running towards me. He leapt into the air, and as he was about to land on me, a black werewolf tackled into him and together they went crashing to the ground.

I tried for a breath and failed again. There was too much blood in my lungs. I gasped and got a little air. I coughed, and blood came out. Aunt Page picked up the werewolf and tossed him. He hit a tree, and it covered them both in snow. I coughed again and blood launched itself out of my mouth.

Aunt Page howled, and ripped into the werewolf’s chest. He reached a clawed hand into it, and pulled his heart out and tossed it away. He shifted back to a man, and Aunt Page shredded his flesh. She stood triumphantly on him and howled.

I coughed again; more blood escaping my lungs. But it felt like more was still filling my lungs. Chris found me. He ran his fingers along my cuts and it burnt. His hands started to glow yellow, and I felt cracks, pops and pain fill my body. He then drew his hands from my mouth to the back of my head, and I felt the blood in my lungs exit my mouth.

I reached for him, and that was all I remembered. I woke in Aunt Page’s house. Bandaged and bloody. I moved and I felt sore. Little Lara was sitting watch over me, and she had fallen asleep. I didn’t want to wake her.

Chris had fallen asleep on the opposite couch. He was very bloody, I figure mostly because of all the blood I have when I use my magic. I kissed his sleeping lips softly. He wasn’t awake, It was just an act of tenderness I could do for him, not my first kiss. He saved my life. I owed him that much.

I rose from where I was, and I walked down the hall to Aunt Page’s room and I snuck in and I laid next to her, “Dawn,” she said sleepily, “Are you okay?” “Yes, I just am very, very cold.” She covered me up, and pulled me close to her.

I woke in the morning alone, and Chris had left. I stumbled through the house, and found Uncle Rapier. He smiled when he saw me, “You kicked me out of the bed last night, Sweet Summer. I’m glad to see you’re feeling better.”

“I’m just a china-doll Uncle Rapier. I was manhandled…” Uncle Rapier raised an eyebrow, “From what Christopher told me of the fight, you were the one controlling the way it went. You just couldn’t keep up with a berserk werewolf.” I nodded, “I want to go home.”

“Expect your mother to be uber-mom,” he said. I spoke softly, “I always do.”

-Dawn

(It’s the clan’s 50th post. I had to do something special.)