Sunday, April 01, 2007

Summer's Journal: Fourtieth Entry

It has been almost two weeks since everything that happened...And...

I killed a human today. It sounds so bad as I write that sentence. I killed a human today. There are so many things wrong with it. The first is, I am no longer considering myself human. I’m not anymore. I guess I never was. The second is, I don’t kill humans. We don’t kill humans, my family doesn’t kill humans.

I killed one today.

I would never tell my father nor my mother. Chris doesn’t even know, and he will never find out. Brendan knows. He agreed with me. He said I should have. I don’t think I should have.

Today was a normal day. Of course, by normal, I guess normal is something like this happening to me. When I went to lunch today, Chris had to do something for a school project or something. He doesn’t often get time to spend with me. But I understand how important school and track is for him.

He has told me that’s how he plans on getting away from here. I wonder if he wants to take me with him. I love him.

A dark, handsome stranger, came up to me today. He dressed in all dark clothes, and he sat to eat lunch with me.

“Hey, do you mind if I sit here?” I responded with, “It’s a free country.” I ate daintily. He smiled at me, “What’s a cutie like you doing here?” “Waiting for my boyfriend.” “Oh, sorry…” He stood and walked away. I don’t often get flirted with. My strong front scares off most everyboy, and the gothic look scares everyboy else.

After lunch, I completed the rest of my day out, and I decided to stay around after school to wait for Chris’ track to let out. I waited in the quad. The boy, from lunch was there. He walked over to me and sat down.

“Not much of a boyfriend,” he said, “Leaving a girl as beautiful as you waiting for so many hours.”

“He’s a great boyfriend,” I responded immediately. He spoke with a smile as he reached for my hand, I withdrew my hand, and I spoke to him, “I have been known to rend the flesh of people who touch me and I don’t want them to.”

He frowned and withdrew his hand. He reached into his backpack, and he withdrew a long metallic object. I stared at it, it was an iron dagger. I tried not to look afraid but my eyes had to be wide.

“What about now?” He asked in much darker tones, “I am here to kill you, Summer Dawn.” My response with as much conviction as I could muster was, “Death is the last great adventure.”

He reached for my hand, and I rolled to the side off the bench, and I began to run. I closed my eyes, I was looking for something dead, I needed something dead. The sky was darkening, and I felt comfort in that.

But there was nothing dead, and when I turned around he was right on top of me. He withdrew something from his backpack, and he threw it at me. When it struck my legs, nothing happened.

I withdrew my holy water, and I threw the bottle at him. When it broke against his forehead, nothing happened. I am sure we both looked confused. I knew I expected something to happen, and I am sure he expected something to happen.

We squared off. I walked around him, making sure he couldn’t reach me with that dagger. “She told me to expect you to be good, but I didn’t know how good.”

“Who?” I asked. “Not my business to say.” He reached into his backpack again. “Why are you trying to kill me?” I asked. “Because of how many of those supernatural creatures you have dealt with.”

When he pulled the gun out and pointed at me, I felt my heart drop. He fired. The fire came from the barrel, and that was what I remembered of what happened at that moment. I don’t know how, and I don’t know why, but when the bullet hit my skin, it decayed and there was only the pain of burning where the bullet struck.

I looked down and when I saw I was still I alive, I leapt at him. I laid my hands on his neck, and I began to suck the life out of him. It was something Aurora taught me to do. It was a dark spell, one that only necromancers and life mages could access. My hands were black and I felt the life come from him.

My mouth filled with blood, and it only quickened the pace in which I was stealing his lifeforce from him.

“You’re not a human?” he asked coughing as his flesh began to age and his hair began to grey. I held him as tightly as I could, and I drained the life from him. It didn’t take long for him to age into a corpse. I released him, and my shirt began to slip down my shoulder. I grabbed it, and held it tightly so it wouldn’t fall off.

I had drained his age, and it made me younger. It had happened before, it wasn’t that big of a deal. It would wear off in a little while. Aurora told me that was because of the differences between our magic.

I went through his backpack, he had all these weapons, and charms that worked only against mortals. He had a black book, and in it were written the names of people. With normal jobs, who had a feat against the supernatural word marked next to him. A business man in Toyko remembered what his grandmother said about Kappas and was able to banish one from his place of work. A mother of two in Kansas shot and killed an ancient werewolf thinking it was going to attack her kids.

He was a Human-Hunter.

At the end of the book it read, Summer Dawn O’Ciardha, Numerous Events. There was also a letter, it read “Devith, Kill a Summer Dawn O’Ciardha at the X marked on the map I included with this letter. There must be no trace back to me. –L” I relized that I still had blood in my mouth, and I figured now would be a good time to spit it out. I spat it on him, on the letter, and on his stuff to show my displeasure.

When my blood touched the letter, it began to move around on it. The ink disappeared and written in my own blood before my very eyes.

“We will get you. We will kill you. You and you father have melded in our affairs far too much.” The letter then had a demonic symbol appear on it, and it burnt, the back burnt, and Devith, the Human Hunter burnt.

I pulled the shoulder back up on my shirt, and Brendan came over having seen the flames. I didn’t see Chris with him. I was thankful. I didn’t want Chris to see me young like this.

“Dawn?” Brendan asked me, “You’re… Oh… Dawn, what did you do?” I told him what happened. “I forgot how cute little Dawn is.” He pinched my cheek, and I snapped at him with my fangs. “Look,” He said wrapping his arm around me, “Don’t worry about it, the dude tried to shoot you. It doesn’t matter if he was human or not.”

I nodded. “Do you need to stay at our place for the night? That way your rents won’t see you as a little cute eleven year old.” I sighed and looked at him, “Brendan, I need to go home. I can wait it out in my room. You’re such a jerk.”

“Aww, wittle Darn think I’ma jerk… Ishn’t she soo cute.” I rolled my eyes at him, but I remembered what he offered and what he said, and I spoke softly,“Thanks Brendan.” He nodded, “That’s what family is for, Right?”

“Yeah. Is Chris allright?” “Yeah, Research Paper, Track, and His rents are giving him a lot to do at home. He told me to give you a hug, and tell you that he wuvs wittle Dawn.” “Thanks Brendan.”

He snapped a picture of me, then ran down the street. He knew there was no way I could catch him, and I wouldn’t even attempt. I held my necklace and then I went home. I was feeling very peppy, and I was hoping Aurora would have an answer. She didn’t. It finally wore off about an hour ago. Its time for bed.

-Dawn

4 Comments:

Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

Not a pleasant day for you, Summer, having an assasination attempt.

1:42 PM  
Blogger Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator said...

I say the guy got waht he deserved.

3:48 PM  
Blogger Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator said...

Summer, I'm not sure why I didn't do this a lot sooner but I wanted to extend and invitation to you to join the Heroes United blog and forum.

Come on over, have a look, sit a spell, you know, no big woop.

9:59 PM  
Blogger True Jersey Girl said...

Summer, you did what you had to do. It was you or him.

10:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home